+45 33 75 10 00

info@nordic-labs.com

 

Mold allergy and sensitivity is more prevalent due to our environment and other toxic exposures. People who suffer from allergies may be more sensitive to mold. Other susceptible populations may include asthmatics, children and infants, the elderly, or individuals with existing respiratory conditions or weakened immune systems.

The spores of mold fungi are common causes of inhalant allergy. Asthma or respiratory tract symptoms are often signs of mold allergy or exposure. Molds are commonly found in moist damp areas such as basements, trashcans, plant soil and woodpiles. Mold colonies are often seen growing on the surface of moist foods such as bread, cheese and jam.

We consume fungi from moldy foods or from the actual food manufacturing process. A range of different fungi is used in this process in a variety of ways, such as the making of cheese or fermented products. Yeast is used is the process of making wine or beer, vinegar and bakery products. Asthmatics who are sensitive to inhaled mold spores can experience urticaria (hives), angioedema (swelling) and cardiac symptoms after consuming substances containing yeast or mold.

Avoiding all exposure to mold may not be possible. However, the risk of mold exposure may be limited by identifying problem molds through this serum blood test.


IgG = Past exposure and possible allergic reaction
IgE = Allergy
IgA = Current exposure


Downloadable files